Things progress. In porting over my code to Java, I’m beginning to see just how broken things it is – the ODE solver I wrote (Runge-Kutta! It’s fun to say…) was never actually called, which was computationally taxing, and subjected the physics to the cruelties of perfect numbers being represented in a binary space. So we’re in another period of simplification, revision, and expansion. My attempts at versioning have been less successful – I get the repository push-pull-merge-fork stuff, but starting a new repository hasn’t been particularly successful, but we’ll see.
The good news is that the code is much much much faster – I’m using LWJGL as a handle for getting to OpenGL through Java and it definitely lives up to the name. At this point in time, I’ve got a checklist of code experiments – textures, point sprites, VBOs, etc as well as a good deal of pen and paper/hard thinking work. While what I’ve been writing has some computationally impressive bits (at least to me) hanging off it here and there – it’s absolutely no fun whatsoever to play. If it’s not fun to play, and the programming is focused on epsilon-balls and how doubles are represented – not moving it towards that elusive goal of “actually kinda fun” – it might be time to go back to the drawing board.